Saturday, September 17, 2011

Landon and Elliot Lately






Landon and Elliot have said some pretty funny things lately, but I don't write them down and then I forget. Hopefully I can remember a few. They are growing like crazy and getting smarter everyday. They are recently showing more interest in learning about letters and the sounds they make. They are still great friends and know the little details about each other well. They know when the other is sad and how to make it better. In the last couple of months, they have started to use their imagination during play. They have conversations with each other, their cars, stuffed animals and anything else they can think of. They make each other laugh with silly little comments that I am not a part of. Every time they step foot into the bathroom, they want to step on the scale and see how big they are. I loudly announce their current weight and they love this little game. Recently, they have started to discuss how eating their meat will make their muscles get bigger. Being three isn't all fun and games though. In the past, people told me that 3 year olds were tougher than 2 year olds and I believe them now. 




Landon is such a sweet little boy! He says "please" and "thank you" without prompting and is so sincere when he says"I love you!" He has hit a stage of being obsessed with Mommy and we are trying to work through that currently. It is difficult for all of us, but it sure is nice to feel loved and it melts my heart when he says, "I need you, mom!." He hates nursery and won't let us leave his sight. If we leave the room, they come and get us within 5 minutes. He is 3 months away from Sunbeams and I am nervous about that transition for him. It looks like I may be the Sunbeam teacher shortly. Being a mom is so difficult. I want him to be happy, but I also want him to know that it is okay if I leave sometimes. I think all the change this summer has been tough on him and I am hoping we can get him back to his happy self. Landon still loves cars and anything that is "super, super" fast. He also does a pretty good car noise. He likes to say, "Gentlemen, start your engines," and then he does a few good revving noises. He is quite particular about food being presented to him in it's "super, super, super" big form. He isn't a fan of cutting anything in half. His favorite shows are Jungle Junction and Cars. His least favorite show is anything that he thinks is scary. He freaks out a bit during scary parts. The interesting thing is that he won't turn away from it for more than a second. It sucks him right back in even if the scary part is still on. From the beginning he has been a child of opposites. He is strong physically and tough when it comes to injuries, but he is sensitive to new places, loud noises and anything unfamiliar. At the beginning of the summer, he hated the pool, but now he is swimming by himself with no floaties. He can't go too far yet, but it is so fun to watch him learn. His favorite foods are still peanut butter and jam sandwiches and bananas. He would eat this for every meal if I let him. He likes most breakfast foods, some lunch items, but only eats a bite or two of dinner when strongly convinced. Landon has some of the craziest dance moves and can pull off some awesome cart wheels and sideways rolls. He also figured out how to do a sweet speed walk. He walks with both arms swinging. He actually runs that way too when he wants to go "super, super" fast. Landon has a pair of tennis shoes that he calls his "exercise shoes." He loves them because he thinks they are the root of his super speed. The other day we went out in the rain and he told me, "the rain is tinkling on me." Speaking of tinkling, we are still working on the potty training with him. It is a work in progress. 






Elliot is growing by leaps and bounds too. He is so observant and has an amazing memory. He often brings up the details of things we did months ago when I barely remember anything about it. He also remembers the words to songs and will sing along in the car to songs I didn't know he knew. Almost every time we get in the car he sings BINGO. He loves singing and especially that song. He also has been very scheduled lately. He likes to run through the events of the day with little details included. This is an example of his schedule. "First, I will go potty. Then, I will wash my hands. Then, I will get my swimsuit on. Then, we will put my sunscreen on. Then, you will rub it in. And, then we will go swimming!" He does this often through the day and I love listening to what he comes up with. Recently he has started to attempt disciplining Landon. Elliot said, "If you say that to Daddy again, you will need to go in your room." He has done stuff like that a few times. It is pretty funny, but not really his job. He is also very formal in his responses to me. He never says "yeah." It is always "yes" or a head nod. If I don't see the nod and I ask again, he will say, "But, I nodded." Ever since he figured out what a nod means, he has loved doing it. For a long time, he refused to say the prayer, but recently that has changed. Now he volunteers often and he says some lengthy prayers. He says thank you for doors, the stars outside, lights, ceilings, windows, firetrucks, pillows, blankets and toys. I am grateful for his observation of the world around him. Last night Brooks tried to help him during the prayer and Elliot said, "I already said that." When we read scriptures before bed, Elliot asks about a million questions. Every fifth word's meaning is questioned. I love his inquisitive nature, but it's going to take a while to get through the Book of Mormon at this pace. At bedtime, Elliot has a little routine he recently started. He takes my face in his hands and kisses one cheek (turns my head), kisses my lips (turns my head), kisses the other cheek and then sometimes my forehead. Next is a tight hug and then a, spot on, double high five. The high five needs to be precise or it gets redone. Elliot loves to learn. A few days ago, he was having trouble remembering a few cartoon characters' names. When I reminded him of the names, he ran to my mom and said, "I learned my lesson! It's Daisy and Minnie!"







Speed Walk from Shelci Crandell on Vimeo.


 
Watch this one to the end. The bow at the last second is the best part.

 

4 comments:

Samantha said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
Samantha said...

love them, nuff said

Doug and Amanda said...

I love the detailed descriptions you give of the boys! They are very lucky to have a mom like you. :)

Unknown said...

I mainly do it for myself Amanda, but I am glad someone is reading it. Haha!